Covid Safety Protocols
Our district continues to refine our COVID-19 Safety Plan based on the latest information and requirements from the CDC, L&I, the Washington State Department of Health, the King County Department of Health. You can always find our COVID resources by going to the LWSD homepage and then selecting Pathway Forward. Here is important information, safety measures we are implementing as we start our new school year, and a few changes from last year. For more information please read our COVID-19 Safety Plan.
- Students must wear cloth masks that cover the mouth and nose while inside the school.
- We continue to ask that students remain home when sick, especially when they have any COVID symptoms.
- We will continue to send students home if they develop COVID symptoms while at school.
- We will continue to ask students to wipe their desks at the end of class.
- Hand sanitizer will be in each classroom and in high traffic areas of our hallways.
- Our custodians will continue to wipe high-touch areas every day.
- We will be placing tables outside, so our students can spread out more during lunchtime.
- During passing periods students sometimes stop and gather with friends in the hallway. We will continue to ask students to proceed to their next class.
- Performing arts teachers have more specific guidance they will explain to their students.
- We will continue to practice social distancing to the extent we can, knowing that with 2400 students there are times when this is just not possible.
Changes from last year:
- The vast majority of our students are fully vaccinated. Our vaccinated rate is higher than the King County average, which is higher than our state’s overall vaccination rate.
- Our state is requiring all staff to be vaccinated.
- We are not asking students for daily attestation at this time.
- Students and staff are not required to wear a mask while outside.
- Fully vaccinated students and staff will not need to quarantine if they have been exposed or are close contacts as long as they have no symptoms. However, it might take a day to verify they are fully vaccinated.
- Fully vaccinated students and staff will need to quarantine if they develop COVID symptoms.
- Fully vaccinated students and staff will need to quarantine if they test positive for COVID-19, even if they do not have any symptoms.
- At this time we will not have all-school assemblies inside. We will have smaller assemblies inside and all-school assemblies outside where there is more space.
- At this time we are not inviting large groups of parents inside for events. For example, Curriculum Night will be virtual this year. Smaller groups are OK for some activities and events.
Our plans and procedures are intended to keep everyone safe as we operate a large high school during a pandemic. Our protocols continue to evolve as we learn more about this coronavirus. Thank you for your understanding and your support.