WANIC - Washington Network for Innovative Careers
Washington Network for Innovative Careers (WANIC) is one of 13 Skill Centers in Washington state. It was established to provide advanced-level Career and Technical Education programs based on rigorous academic and industry standards, preparing students for post-secondary education and successful entry into high-skill, high-demand careers and employment.
- Operates as a cooperative school of eight local school districts. Member districts are Bellevue, Everett, Issaquah, Lake Washington, Mercer Island, Northshore, Riverview, and Snoqualmie. WANIC has campuses at Lake Washington Institute of Technology (Kirkland), DigiPen (Redmond), and at 34 area high schools.
- Provides courses that would normally not be offered in a comprehensive high school due to high operative and equipment costs or not enough student enrollment at the school.
- Designed to help students get a head start on career goals by providing training in specific professions.
- Academic year courses are designed in three period blocks for 11th and 12th grade students who are on track to graduate.
- Academic year courses offer 1.5 high school CTE/Occupational Education or Elective credits per semester, with many offering equivalency credits in subjects such as science, art, etc. Most course are also eligible for CTE Dual high school/college credit. Registration opens in mid-January.
- WANIC Summer Semester is an option for all Eastlake students, including incoming freshman. Summer classes are generally 6.5 hours per day for 14 days, with students earning 0.5 high school credits. Registration typically opens in mid-April.
- See Course List and Register: WANIC’s website.
- Take advantage of visit opportunities such as Eastlake Electives Fair (1/31/2020), WANIC Field Trip (2/25/2020), and WANIC’s Open House at Lake Washington Institute of Technology (3/20/2020).
- Questions: Email Eastlake College and Career Specialist, Carol McGuigan.