Incoming 9th Grade - Class of 2023
Class of 2023
Welcome to the Pack Night
Tuesday April 30th from 6-8pm
Click here for an informational flyer about the evening.
We look forward to seeing you all there!
Eastlake counselors are currently trying to register over 2000 students and still meet with the students on their caseloads. Because of this we are unable to meet with incoming 9th grade students and parents. We encourage you to utilize the information provided on this page and the FAQ or refer to your middle school counselor.
Thank you and we look forward to meeting you in September.
This is Eastlake video
- Parent Night Presentation - I could not attend incoming 9th grade parent night or my student missed the EHS counselor presentation at her/his school. Is there a way I can see the presentations?
- Can I take a math class over the summer to accelerate the math pathway?
- Social Studies - What are the Social Studies options for 9th graders?
- Honors English - Can any 9th grader request Honors English?
- PE Credits - What options exist for meeting the PE graduation requirements?
- Does my student have to take the 9th grade yearlong Health and Fitness class?
- What are the yearlong Elective Options for 9th Grade?
- Middle School Credit on HS Transcripts
- Credit Recovery - If a student fails a class in 8th grade, what are his/her options for making up the credit?
- Math and Science Pathways - Can you help me understand the math and science pathways?
- Upper Level World Language - What do you offer as far as upper level languages?
- Mixed Grade Level Freshmen Classes - What classes are typically mixed grade levels for 9th graders?
- 10th Grade Honors Access - Can my student still get into the honors or AP pathway if they don’t take the honors pathway in 9th grade?
- Art Options - Do you have an art pathway for 9th graders?
- World Language Credit Options - Are there alternatives to my student completing the 2.0 world language graduation requirement?
- Freshmen Wind Ensemble/Symphonic Band - Is there ever a possibility that a freshman can take Wind Ensemble/Symphonic Band?
- Jazz Band Auditions - When are Jazz Band auditions for the 2018-19 school year?
- Non-English Native Speakers- What do you suggest for students who are native speakers of Spanish, French, or Japanese but who want to take a world language class at EHS as opposed to the World Language Credit Options discussed in the above FAQ?
- Missed Counselor Presentation - My student will miss the counselors presentation – how can they get the information?
- Finish Registration - My student will miss the counselors on the 2nd day of presentation – how do they get registered?
We ordinarily do not recommend students accelerating the Math pathway over the summer, but we also understand that some students can accelerate the pathway and still find success at the next level. We definitely do not want to hold your student back from advancing in their course work, but at the same time we want to make sure they are prepared for the next level.
For more information click here.
1.5 PE and .5 Health credits is required for graduation. Students should plan to take the yearlong Health/PE class (.5 PE and .5 Health credit) in their 9th grade year unless they have 2 year long classes that are a priority such as Band, Choir, or Special Education support. It is what is typical and what most 9th graders take. If the student does not take 9th grade Health/PE they have to seek the .5 Health class through LWSD summer school, an accredited pre-approved on-line class or another year during their 7 period schedule. The options for remaining PE credit are to A) take PE classes at EHS, B) Take the LWSD PE Knowledge Assessment C) Submit a Fitness Plan. Information on options B & C can be found on the district PE assessment page here and are not available until 11th grade year.
Yes, the Health and Fitness class serves as a foundational class for a student's Eastlake experience. This class helps students develop study skills and learning strategies such as time management and goal setting. Health and Fitness will also help students develop the knowledge and skills to successfully navigate life in high school and beyond. Students explore topics such healthy relationships and stress management.
Both Health and Fitness also remain graduation requirements. Although we have a way to excuse students from the PE, Health is a requirement, and in future years it will not be offered at Eastlake outside of Grade 9 Health and Fitness.
Here is a list of 9th grade elective available at Eastlake:
Introduction to Engineering Design
Introduction to Business & Marketing
AP Computer Science Principles
Spanish 1 or 2
French 1 or 2
Japanese 1 or 2
American Sign Language 1
Foundations of Digital Media & Photography
Drama 1 & 2
Guitar 1 & 2
Piano 1 & 2
Jazz Band (w/Concert Band)
Walking & Yoga/Advanced Walking & Yoga (yearlong)
Please check the course catalog for pre-requisites.
Students have the legal right to put it on their transcript – they do not have to and they would need to request it from their high school counselor. Once it is done, it cannot be removed. If your student took Spanish 1(or other World Language) in middle school and your student is only planning to take two years total of a World Language, they will need to bring a world language onto their transcript to reflect that they have met the two year world language requirement. Your student would need to make an appointment with their school counselor to get a form to complete the process. There is also a section on some college applications for listing any high school classes taken in 7/8th grade.
While there are options for credit retrieval, they are typically expensive and inconvenient. It is important for students to pass the Washington State History graduation requirement in middle school. For students who failed classes like Spanish 1, Algebra 1, or Geometry they would repeat the course in 9th grade, or take summer school, or complete an accredited, pre -approved online course.
In the vast majority of cases, students progress from 8th grade math to Algebra 1, from Algebra 1 to Geometry, and from Geometry to Algebra 2. Incoming 9th grade students can choose between Biology in the Earth System or Honors Biology in the Earth System.
Math Pathway for 2019-20- click here
Science Pathway for 2019-20 - click here
Currently EHS offers:
American Sign Language 1, 2, 3 (this will continue to grow with more levels each year if there is the need and desire from students)
Spanish 1, 2, 3, 4 Honors, 5 Honors, AP Spanish Language
French 1, 2, 3, 4 Honors, 5 Honors, AP French Language
Japanese 1, 2, 3,4 (this will continue to grow with more levels each year if there is the need and desire from students)
Yes, the requirement for 9th grade Fine Arts courses is that they are 1 year long. Click here for the Fine Arts Pathway diagram.
Currently EHS offers:
Music - *Piano 1 & 2, *Guitar 1 & 2, Orchestra, Orchestra 2, Concert Band and Concert Choir. Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band and Concert Choir by audition only.
Fine Arts - Art Foundation, 2D Art, 3D Art, *Drama1 and Drama 2
Technical Education *Photo 1 & 2
* Grade 9 students wanting to take Photography, Drama, Piano or Guitar must sign up for semester 1 & 2.
All situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis. If students are verbally fluent, we would start them off in Level 2 or higher depending on the level of literacy, which will be determined by the World Language Department. Heritage speakers are encouraged to take upper level language classes during their high school career.